Tuesday, January 24, 2012

A Semi-Solo Flight

After a sun-soaked two day break I returned to the Boutique fresh and eager (read: super nervous and excited.)  I spent Sunday and Monday almost entirely poolside and am now a pleasant beige color that is considered winter white for most people but is considered a fairly savage tan for me.  Today I was on the floor with my trainer observing how to do the hair while making pleasant, Fairy Godmother conversation with the princesses and their families.  At first this struck me as ridiculously difficult.  It takes all of my focus to get that hair smooth (however smooth you are picturing it's smoother than that) and the witty banter portion of my brain is temporarily relegated to hairspray application.

Wait, you need the proper themeing for this post. All day today our speakers pumped the soundtrack to the Lizzie McGuire Movie and the Princess Diaries so to give you the effect play this video while reading:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgAIwP5vpPQ

Anyway, fairly early on Michelle told me to take over. My very first princess came and took her seat. "And which hairstyle would you like, Princess?" She pointed to the Disney Diva. Crap. The Diva requires a hair piece and a ton of teasing and teasing is not my best skill. Was not my best skill, rather. But I pressed on as all brave FGITs must do.  I worked as quickly at the smooth pony tail as I possibly could, desperately putting off the inevitable.  Ok, let's do this. I attached the hair piece and began my terrifying teasing campaign. Remarkably, it was going off without a hitch.  No less, I was making charming and funny conversation with my princess and she was laughing and smiling.  It makes me nervous that teasing results as a bit of a rats nest even though that's what is supposed to happen. It goes against the smooth mentality I get in to with the pony tail. I teased and arranged the hair and asked my princess if she had a prince. Often they wrinkle their noses at the thought of a prince. Boys are frogs until about 7th grade, apparently, but this princess smiled and said "Yeeeesss..." and wiggled in the embarrassed way girls do when cute boys are around (trust me, I know this pose.)

"You do?! Who's your prince?"

"He is." She said pointing to a little blonde boy I hadn't noticed yet. There he stood in full prince garb looking every inch His Majesty Charming.  Her mother smiled and told me that my princess and little Charming had been friends since they were born and the families always traveled together and that he had specifically requested to wear his prince outfit today so that he could be her prince.  I am instantly in love with this four year old.

The moment of truth had finally arrived. I applied the Pixie Dust liberally and summoned the Royal Photographer.  "Now, Princess, close your eyes and promise not to peek until I say boo. Do you promise?" She nods.  "Do you really promise?" She nods harder. "Really really promise?" She nods so hard I am concerned about the hair so I decide she means it.  I turn the chair slowly and say the magic words, "Bibbidi Bobbidi... Boo!" She opens her eyes and her mouth and eyes stretch to their widest extent.  She is all teeth and   glitter and I cannot imagine a happier expression ever.  Until I see her prince. That boy is in love. Hooked at four.  I've seen that face before.  That prince is a goner.

1 comment: