Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Bibbidi Bobbidi Beginning

I must apologize for my stony silence these past few days but training to be a Fairy Godmother has left me exhausted, and glitter coated but I'm not complaining there.  Let's begin at the beginning despite my penchant to start in the middle and then bounce from point to point like a startled lizard.


Welcome to the Neighborhood (or how I learned to stop worrying and love Downtown Disney)

Downtown Disney is the only part of the Walt Disney World complex that I can not navigate with my eyes closed, even during parade times, and initially this bothered me.  I like to know everything about my surroundings and Downtown Disney might as well have been Downtown Cairo for all the better I know it.  Our first day of training served to help reduce some of my concern as we spent it walking around the area and talking about our neighbors.  Downtown is divided fairly nicely into three districts (Marketplace, Pleasure Island, and West Side) which each serve a particular purpose (retail, dining, and entertainment) although there is some crossover.  While Downtown Disney doesn't have that fairy tale magic feeling there is a magic all its own in the way it buzzes with excitement.


Earning My Ears (or how I learned to stop worrying and make a bun)

The most important thing to remember throughout this story is that I am wearing the most beautiful costume in the world the entire time. My skirt is swishy and purple.

Our training began as every day as the boutique begins, with a team meeting.  All of the Fairy Godmothers in Training (here after referred to as FGITs, pronounced fidgets) gather in the boutique to talk about our day and to share any Magical Moments stories. Magical Moments are what we live for; those special moments where we really get to make something wonderful happen for our guests, especially our little guests.  It is at this part of the meeting that we are reminded that we are not in the beauty business, we are in the magic business, and it is our job to make our princesses feel beautiful inside and out.  With the meeting concluded all the FGITs gather in the center of the boutique for our morning spell, "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo! The magic starts with YOU!"  

Even Fairy Godmothers have to cover a few technical things and so much of the first day was devoted to computerized safety lessons which caused me to go cross eyed and forget to blink (surprisingly easy to forget) and my fellow FGIT in training, Aimee, to nod off repeatedly.  As 2:00 approached, however, FGITs began flitting about more excitedly than normal and our trainers appeared and informed us it was "time for the parade!" Aimee and I engaged in a quick eyebrow raising contest and then followed our trainers through the boutique and out onto the streets of Downtown Disney where the most adorable sight in the world awaited us.  There stood several FGITs with Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique banners and a large sign similar to those marching bands hold in front during the Macy's parade and a collection of little princesses.  Each day at 2:00 we host the Princess Parade during which we lead any princess who wants to join on a parade from the boutique to the carousel.  I moved around the princesses and scanned the gathering crowd for any more who might want to join our merry band when I spotted a little girl who reminded me of myself. She would take a few steps forward, lose her nerve, and scuttle back to her parents. Wash, rinse, repeat. Unfortunately for this princess, she didn't have a little sister to pull along with her and check it out first.  This princess needed a Fairy Godmother.

"Hello there Princess! What is your name?"

I bent down on one knee and extended my hand a few feet from her and she shuffled slowly forward. "Alexa." She said as she put her hand on mine.

"Well Princess Alexa, my name is Morgan and I'm your Fairy Godmother."

Her eyes got wide and she nearly broke my heart the way she said "Really?!" scooting forward and gripping my fingers tightly.

"Yes, really. Would you like to join our Princess Parade?"

At this point she was already on her way and I stood up more to avoid being tugged over than anything else. I smiled to her mom and mouthed "I got this," and we joined her fellow princesses.  The parade was too precious for words as the princesses marched along waving and blowing kisses to the crowd.  One little princess was attempting a quantity over quality air kiss technique that caused her to appear to be mimicking an Indian.  Some princesses really got in to the parade waving while others were deathly serious, considering the parade their solemn duty as princesses.  We reached the carousel and helped our princesses board their horses.  As the carousel spun Alexa and I discussed snacks and why it was important to have a full stomach if one was to successfully run a kingdom. She agreed that a hot fudge sundae was the best royal fuel.  With the ride over we let the princesses run back to their waiting moms and dads and I started gathering up our flags.  Then I noticed my princess, parents dragging along behind her, hustling back toward me.

"Hello Princess Alexa! I thought you were getting a snack!"

She pulled her mom and dad forward and said to them "This is Morgan. She's my Fairy Godmother. For real!"

I curtsied and made a few pleasantries to the royal family and headed back for the boutique. I have never felt more important in my entire life.

I was nervous to learn the styles for a number of reasons not the least of which being my hair goes one way all the time and has for six years.  As Michelle and Ines demonstrated the first of the three styles I marveled at how effortless they made it look. A perfectly smooth bun (and when I say perfectly smooth I mean the entire head is smooth. No, seriously.) was simply not in my skill set.  But then, I surprise myself everyday. After a few tries I was picking it up pretty well.  In fact, by the end of the day I felt pretty confident about all three styles, smoothness and all.  Teasing hair pieces proved difficult for me at first, being a totally foreign technique to me but with time I came to accept "ratty is more" and things got easier.  I'm actually finding myself wanting to keep practicing. I realize keeping a mannequin head in your room is a sure fire way to get your roommate to move out but I actually like mine so I'll have to work on my own hair as best I can.  Maybe I should get a Rapunzel doll.  Considerably less "put the lotion on the skin."

I went on Pixie Dust Patrol to end my day which meant I got to smile and sprinkle pixie dust on any princess who passed by.  This is a really fun job because princesses of ALL ages love to be dusted.  Even a few handsome knights stop by.  Pixie Dust is appealing to all ages and genders.  Pixie Dust has clearly seen the Diversity Training video.  Toward the end of the day I saw a princess passing with her mom and dad who looked exactly like you would if you couldn't find the exact toy you wanted on the last day of vacation.

"Hello there, Princess! Would you like some Pixie Dust?"

She nodded sullenly, wiped her nose, and tottled my way.  Dad whipped out the camera, a habit I am still getting used to, and mom looked slightly behind me and smiled.  She mouthed "the pink Minnie" and I noticed I was standing in front of, and effectively concealing thanks to my skirt, a display of pink Minnie Mouse dolls, the only ones in the store of that type.

"Close your eyes and make a wish! Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo! May all your dreams and wishes come true!" As I shook my wand over her head I reached behind me and grabbed the Minnie and held it in front of her at eye level. "Open your eyes, Princess!" She squeaked, grabbed Minnie and bolted back to mom.  As she walked toward the front of the store she kept looking back over her shoulder with an expression that said "I'm not sure what you did but I accept that it was awesome."

It kind of is.

No comments:

Post a Comment