Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Fairy's Night Out

One of the many joys of being a Disney Cast Member is the plethora of discounts offered to you simply for having a company ID.  One of the best of these (apart from free park admission) is free admission to many of the Downtown Disney restaurants/clubs.  Last night my roommates and I took advantage of this and coupled it with free drink night at the House of Blues in Downtown Disney's West Side.  This seemed like the perfect free night out (as transportation is also provided for cast) and it proved to be one of the most fun nights out I have ever had but this certainly doesn't mean everything went as smoothly as a princess's bun.

How does everyone know the moves? "Does it seem like everyone can dance, like, really well?"

We looked around the club as couples swung on to the dance floor and began moving rhythmically to the salsa beat.  Every woman's hips swayed and swished in a manner that caused me to repeat my oft uttered phrase, "Their hips must be attached differently than mine..." and the men stepped in complicated patterns, guiding their ladies around the floor beautifully.  We gathered our free drinks and took our appropriate position along the walls.  I searched around for some indication as to how we'd stumbled in to a perfectly choreographed salsa musical when I spotted the cards scattered about.

Bienvenidos a Latin Service Industry Night! 

"Everyone will notice how pale and small bottomed I am..."
We hovered along the railing observing the stunning dance moves when an older gentleman approached us and began making conversation. When I say older I'm talking AARP card is already getting dusty in his pocket old and he is still working a Greg Norman hat and a vest louder than the music.  He inquired as to what brought us to Florida and where in Disney we worked but primarily focused on me.  "Can you dance?" He asked.  "Not well!" He smiled and said "I'll come ask you for a dance later." Ok, old dude, you do that...

For the majority of the night we floated around watching the dancers and enjoying our free Sour Apple Martinis but, just as promised, my old man appeared hours later and requested his dance. I made eyes at the girls and decided Why not make the guy happy? and took off for the floor.

I'm not 100% sure what dance style he was going for but it involved a lot of spinning and waving his arms around and it certainly gathered a considerable amount of attention.  I was considering which turn would offer me the best chance of slipping away unnoticed when Jessica appeared.  Jessica was a beautiful girl with a mass of curly hair, tan skin, and truly friendly eyes.  She joined our little dance troop and as our old man spun freely she and I discovered that she lives in the apartment next door to mine.  Jessica took over dancing with our dizzy friend and as I turned to find my roomies they appeared through the crowd of shaking hips.

We clustered in a circle in the style most familiar to me from junior high dances and had a grand time awkwardly shuffling and shaking our hips ridiculously (the Chicken Dance was my primary artistic inspiration) until we were too warm to stay any longer.  We made for the exit in the most elegant way possible (read: made a daisy chain and scuttled toward the door) but as I brought up the rear I attempted to pass a tall African American man who looked like Taye Diggs. Seriously. He thrust his arm in front of me but was wise enough not to actually touch me. I get all kinds of crazy if they touch me.

"Hey, girl, I was gonna come dance with you but you was so busy with your girls I didn't want to interrupt."

"Oh...sorry!" I smiled my best Fairy Godmother smile and made toward the door.

"You come her every week?"

"I'm kind of loosely scheduled. Bye!"

I spun as smoothly as my Toms wedges would permit and caught up with the roomies and we giggled our way out the door. By the time the bus brought us home it was 2:00 in the morning and, though exhausted, I felt like a cool college aged person for the first time and I was happy. Really happy.

I was less happy when I had to pop out a Fairy Tale Princess smooth bun 6.5 hours later but with a little Pixie Dust I perked right up.

No comments:

Post a Comment